Deep Kalra is the founder and group CEO of one of the largest online Indian travel companies – MakeMyTrip. He started his entrepreneurial journey in 2000 after taking a cue from the success of Google and Yahoo 2000. Deep was trying to sell his wife’s car when he was instigated with the idea of avoiding expensive travel agents and devising a price-worthy and peaceful journey for travelers in some clicks.
Deep Kalra Personal Details
|Age (As of 2022)
|Year of Birth
|Place of Birth
|Founder and Group CEO of MakeMyTrip
|One son and daughter
|Net Worth (As of 2020)
Deep Kalra’s Early Life
- Deep was born in a Hindu family in Hyderabad and grew up in Delhi and Ahmedabad.
- He was a very ambitious and intelligent individual since childhood.
- Deep’s dream of becoming an entrepreneur was fulfilled in April 2000.
Deep Kalra’s Educational Qualifications
- Deep studied in a private school located in Hyderabad.
- He completed his bachelor’s in economics from St. Stephen’s College, Delhi in 1990.
- Deep pursued MBA from the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad in 1992.
Deep Kalra’s Career
- Deep started his career with ABN Amro bank, where he worked for 3 years.
- Later he worked with AMF Bowling, with the vision to set up bowling alleys in India.
- In 1999, Deep shifted back to the corporate sector and started working as VP of business development with GE Capital.
- He started MakeMyTrip in April 2000
- The entrepreneur worked as an independent director at IndiaMART InterMESH Ltd.
- In 2014, he co-founded Ashoka University and became a part of its governing body.
- Deep is also one of the founding members of the NGO, ‘I Am Gurgaon’.
- He is a chairman of the internet group – National Association of Software and Service Cos.
- Deep is also the president of Indus Entrepreneurs.
- He is the chairperson of the NASSCOM Internet Working Group and a member of the executive council of NASSCOM.
- The entrepreneur is also a member of the CII’s sub-tourism committee.
Deep Kalra’s Awards and Achievements
- Deep was ranked first in the most powerful digital influencers list by KPMG in 2011.
- MakeMyTrip was listed among the 10 best companies to work for, from 2010 to 2013, by the Great Place to Work institute.
- His company was also recognized as the ‘best travel portal in India’ in 2013 and 2014 by World Travel Awards.
- MakeMyTrip received the ‘best online travel service firm’ award.
- Deep’s company (MakeMyTrip) got the best E-tailer of the year award.
Read Also: Family Tree of Trending Personalities