Virat Kohli, a big name in cricket, is a real-life hero. Kohli’s journey from the streets of Delhi to leading the Indian cricket team is truly unique. He’s passionate and fiery on the field, and he’s a friendly guy off the field. His fast climb to success, all the records he’s broken, and the good things he’s done for cricket make him a superstar and a role model for many young athletes. Known as India’s run machine, Kohli’s success rate as Indian captain is one of the best in the history of Indian Sports.
Unknown facts about Virat Kohli
- Torn between his love for tennis and cricket, Kohli chose cricket due to the accessibility of the sport and the encouragement from the many important people in his life.
- His father’s demise made him change his outlook towards the game. “The way I approached the game changed that day. I just had one thing in my mind that I have to play for my country and live that dream for my dad.” Said Kohli in an interview.
- Sachin Tendulkar is his most looked-up icon and inspiration to pursue cricket.
- Apart from Cricket, he loves football and has a stake in FC Goa, a team in the Indian Super League (ISL) football tournament since 2016.
- Kohli is a true-blue desi foodie turned vegan. While growing up in a household in West Delhi he was a true Punjabi and a lover of varied cuisines ranging from butter chicken to burgers to chole bhature. After moving ahead professionally, he shifted to a pure, healthy, vegan diet and began to build a keen focus on fitness.
- Being a dog lover, Kohli extends his support to organizations working for animal protection, such as PETA.
- He is the only Indian player to achieve a century in his World Cup debut in 50 overs. Kohli accomplished this feat against Bangladesh in the 2011 World Cup.
- He is also the first player to score back-to-back three-centuries in Test cricket while captaining the team.
- Virat Kohli’s total centuries in International Cricket are 77, of which 29 are in Test Cricket, 47 in One Day Internationals and 1 in Twenty20 Internationals.
- In 2008, Virat Kohli’s under-19 team lifted the world cup.
Education, Early Life and Family Background
- Born on 5th November 1988, Kohli is nicknamed Cheeku, a name he attained from former Delhi Ranji team coach Ajit Chaudhary.
- Kohli attended the Vishal Bharti Public School in Delhi before pursuing his passion for cricket. He joined the West Delhi Cricket Academy at the age of nine, where he honed his skills under the guidance of coach Rajkumar Sharma.
- Kohli hails from a middle-class Punjabi family. His father, Late Mr. Prem Kohli, worked as a criminal lawyer, while his mother, Saroj Kohli, was a homemaker.
- The values instilled in him by his family, including his elder brother Vikas and elder sister Bhavna, have played a pivotal role in his journey to success.
- Married to Anushka Sharma, a renowned Bollywood actress, in 2017, the couple has a daughter, Vamika.
- Virat Kohli’s and Anushka Sharma’s net worth combined is INR 1250 Crores.
Achievements and Awards
- Kohli’s cricketing achievements are nothing short of extraordinary.
- He holds numerous records, including being the fastest to 8,000, 9,000, 10,000, and 11,000 runs in ODIs.
- He has been awarded the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for the ICC Cricketer of the Year multiple times, establishing himself as one of the finest contemporary batsmen.
- His captaincy, particularly in Test cricket, has led India to historic victories, including their first-ever Test series win in Australia in 2018-2019.
- Virat served as the 32nd captain of the Indian Cricket Team from 2014 to 2022 and led India in 213 matches, out of which he gained victory for 165.
- He made his One Day International (ODI) debut in August 2008 and quickly gained recognition for his batting mastery.
- His Test debut followed in June 2011, marking the beginning of an illustrious Test career.
Brands owned by Virat Kohli
- One8’s owner, Virat Kohli, has expanded his brand’s niche in many domains. One 8 Commune (the master franchise of One8’s restaurant chains), One8 Select, One8 Puma, One8 fitness. Named after his jersey number 18, the brand’s portfolio extends to Athleisure, Fragrances, Innerwear, Cafes and Footwear.
- He also promotes Nueva, a South-American-themed fine dining bar and restaurant, and includes his brother Vikas as one of the owners along with Sharad and Vikrant Batra of Cafe Delhi Heights fame.
- Wrogn, a luxury clothing and lifestyle brand for kids, is a collaboration between Bollywood director Karan Johar, sports player Kohli and singer Badshah.
Virat Kohli: A Champion on and off the Field
Known for his philanthropic efforts, he has actively promoted fitness and well-being, launching initiatives such as the “Virat Kohli Foundation.” Through his foundation, Kohli’s dreams for a better India have expanded beyond sports to ensure a better future for our country’s underprivileged youth. He is committed to developing youth-focused programs that connect children to resources and establishing support services for our society’s most vulnerable members.
Virat Kohli’s journey from a young cricketer to the leader of the Indian cricket team is remarkable. He’s dedicated, consistent, and loved by cricket fans. Kohli is more than just a cricketer, he’s a true leader committed to fitness, philanthropy, and family life. He represents excellence and inspires generations to come.