Amidst the corridors of international diplomacy, where nations engage in negotiation and cooperation, one name shines with exceptional brilliance – S. Jaishankar. Preeminent India’s Minister of External Affairs since 2019, continues to write a compelling story that weaves the threads of strategic leadership, intellectual mindshare and dedicated allegiance to the nation. Currently serving as the Minister of External Affairs of India, he is the 30th minister to assume the position, preceded by Sushma Swaraj.
Jaishankar’s book, “The India Way: Strategies for an Uncertain World,”depicts the substantial reshaping of the global order during the period spanning from the 2008 global financial crisis to the 2020 coronavirus pandemic.
Jaishankar at the 78th United Nations General Assembly
- (MEA), S. Jaishankar’s Speech in UNGA (United Nations General Assembly) began with “Namaste from Bharat”.
- Focusing on the success of the G20 summit, he said, “India is seen as a solution provider that bridges divides.”
- He also highlighted India’s “One Earth, One Family, One Future” vision.
Jaishankar – Basic Details and Family Background
|Full Name||Subrahmanyam Jaishankar (popularly called as S. Jaishankar)|
|DOB||9th January 1955|
|POB||New Delhi, India|
|Father’s Name||Krishnaswamy Subrahmanyam|
|Mother’s Name||Sulochana Subrahmanyam|
|Siblings||Sanjay Subrahmanyam (Historian)
S. Vijay Kumar (IAS Officer & Former Rural Development Secretary of India)
|Education||Cambridge School, Srinivaspuri
St. Stephens College, University of Delhi – Bachelor’s degree in Economics
Jawahar Lal Nehru University – Master’s in Political Science, M. Phil & Ph.D. in International Relations
|Profession||Civil Servant, Diplomat, Politician|
|Status||Minister of External Affairs|
|Awards||Padma Shri 2020|
Unknown Facts about S. Jaishankar
- S. Jaishankar’s rank in UPSC led him to join the Indian Foreign Service in 1977.
- Longest serving Indian Ambassador to China and played a crucial role in reinforcing economic, trade, and cultural relations between India and China.
- With more than 3 decades of experience in diplomacy, Dr. Jaishankar is believed to be one of the best diplomats in the world.
- One of the most popular ministers among youth for his witty and diplomatic replies that always put forth India’s interests in global politics
- He was earlier married to Ms. Shobha till she succumbed to cancer, whom he met while studying at JNU.
- His wife, Kyoko, is Japanese, and the couple has 2 sons and a daughter.
- He was inducted into PM Modi’s cabinet in 2019 and is trusted by the Prime Minister for diplomatic missions of the country.
- Longest serving Indian Ambassador to China and has played a pivotal role in reinforcing economic, trade, and cultural relations between the two countries.
- His net worth is around 15 crores rupees.
- Speaks Tamil, Russian, conversational Japanese, and some Hungarian.
Jaishankar’s Popular Interviews List
- Global Technology Summit 2021
- The Sydney Dialogue Panel discussion on “Democracies and Global Technology Governance”
- India Today Conclave 2021
- India’s G20 Win – Exclusive Interview with Rahul Kanwal on India Today 2023
|1977||Indian Foreign Service|
|2001-04||Ambassador to Czechia (Czech Republic)|
|2007-09||High commissioner to Singapore|
|2009-13||Ambassador to China|
|2014-15||Ambassador to the US|
|2015-18||Foreign Secretary of India|
|2019-present||Minister of External Affairs Of India|
Achievements and Contributions
Jaishankar IFS 1977 is a visionary diplomat who has made remarkable achievements and contributions, such as:
- Enhanced Bilateral Relations:He has played a pivotal role in enhancing India’s bilateral relations with major powers such as the United States, Russia, and China, fostering economic cooperation, strategic partnerships, and diplomatic collaboration.
- COVID-19 Diplomacy:During the COVID-19 pandemic, Jaishankar led India’s diplomatic efforts to provide humanitarian assistance, including vaccines, to countries worldwide. His “Vaccine Maitri” initiative exemplified India’s commitment to global public health.
- Boundary Resolution:Under his leadership, India achieved significant progress in resolving longstanding border disputes, particularly with China, through dialogue and negotiation.
- Climate Diplomacy: Jaishankar has strongly advocated climate action, representing India’s interests in international forums and highlighting the country’s commitment to renewable energy and sustainability.
As India continues to assert its role on the global stage, S. Jaishankar remains a steadfast leader guiding the nation through the intricacies of international diplomacy. His ability to navigate complex international relationships, foster alliances, and address challenges head-on has not only strengthened India’s position but also contributed to a more stable and interconnected world, further ensuring a brighter future in the global arena.