Narendra Damodardas Modi, the current Prime Minister of India, was born on September 17, 1950, in Vadnagar, Mehsana Gujarat. Born to a poor family of grocers, his inspiring life journey is something that people look up to, besides his successful political career. Prior to being the prime minister of India, he had served as the chief minister of Gujarat for over 13 years.
Narendra Modi’s Biography
|Name||Narendra Damodardas Modi|
|Title||Prime Minister (2014 – present)|
|Preceded by||Manmohan Singh|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Date of Birth||September 17, 1950|
|Place of Birth||Vadnagar, Gujarat|
|Father||Late Damodardas Mulchand Modi|
|Mother||Smt. Heeraben Damodardas Modi|
|Education||Delhi University (BA Political Science) Gujarat University (PG MA)|
Narendra Modi’s Political Career
|1987||Joined BJP a year after which he was made the general secretary of the party’s Gujarat branch|
|1990||Participated in a coalition government in Gujarat, along with other BJP members|
|1995||Helped the party achieve success in the state legislative assembly elections. Following that, the party formed the first-ever BJP-controlled government in India.|
|1998||Appointed as the general secretary of BJP’s national organization in New Delhi|
|2001||Sworn in as the chief minister of Gujarat replacing his fellow BJP member Keshubhai Patel|
|2002||Entered his first-ever electoral contest, which won him a seat in the Gujarat state assembly|
|2014||Sworn in as the Prime Minister of India|
Major works by Narendra Modi
Named the best Chief Minister in the country in 2007 by India Today.
- Honored with the ‘FDI Personality of the Year’ award by FDI Magazine in 2009
- Ranked 15 on Forbes’ list of the ‘World’s Most Powerful People’ in 2014
- Listed among ‘Time 100 most influential people in the world by Time magazine in 2014, 2015 and 2017
- Bestowed with Indian of the Year award by CNN-IBN in 2014
- Ranked fifth on Fortune Magazine’s first annual list of the ‘World’s Greatest Leaders
- A wax statue of Narendra Modi was conferred with the Amir Amanullah Khan Award in 2017.
- Bestowed with Saudi Arabia’s highest civilian honor ‘King Abdulaziz Sash’ by King Salman bin Abdulaziz in 2016
- Ranked 9th in Forbes World’s Most Powerful People list 2018
- Honored with UN’s highest environmental award in 2018
- Narendra Modi is the recipient of the first Philip Kotler Presidential Award.
- This year, Narendra Modi had a whopping 70% Global Approval Rating, the highest among 13 world leaders.
Suggested Read: New Zealand’s Wonder Woman – Jacinda Ardern’s Biography