As the FIFA world cup draws nearer, apart from the prominent names like Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar, and Messi, another name has been the talk of the football fraternity in recent times – Mohamed Salah. Having scored over 140 goals in just 217 games for Liverpool, Salah is said to be approaching the same level as Ronaldo, his Portuguese teammate.
Mohamed Salah Biography
Born and brought up in Gharbia, Egypt, Salah has been a gifted footballer since he was a child. He debuted in football at the mere age of 14 when he joined the youth team of ‘Al Mohawloon’. In 2010, he joined the club’s senior team in the ‘Egyptian Premier League’ two years after which he was transferred to ‘FC Basel’, a Swiss football club. Today, he not only plays as a forward for the Egyptian national team but also for the Premier League club ‘Liverpool’.
|Name||Mohamed Salah Hamed Mahrous Ghaly|
|Date of Birth||June 15, 1992|
Key achievements in Mohamed Salah’s career journey
|2012-13||Played a crucial role in leading FC Basel towards victory during the Swiss Championship and the Uhren Cup.|
|2014||Joined Chelsea and became the first-ever Egyptian player to play with the club|
|2017||Signed a contract with Liverpool|
|2017||Was named the ‘African Footballer of the Year by BBC and CAF|
|2018||Emerged as the top scorer for his team with five goals during the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifications|
Lesser known facts about Mohamed Salah
- Salah married his teenage love, Magi Sadeq in 2013 with whom he has two daughters – Makka and Kayan.
- Salah is a devout Muslim and celebrates every goal by performing the sujud.
- Before signing a long-term contract with Liverpool, he was loaned to the Italian club ‘Fiorentina’ and then to ‘Roma’ by his then club Chelsea.
- Salah’s skills led Roma’s management to approach him for a permanent deal, which he agreed to. However, when Chelsea came to him with a 50 million-pound long-term offer in 2017, he couldn’t resist and join the latter.
- His first hat-trick for Liverpool was in one of his matches against Watford during which he secured a 5-0 victory for his team by scoring 4 goals.