Kishore Biyani is among the pioneers in India’s retail sector and is the founder and CEO of Future Group. Starting out his journey in the retail space back in 1987, Kishore has managed to build a business empire for himself and today, Future Group has a wide-ranging presence across the country with big retail stores such as Big Bazaar, Food Hall and Easy Day under his aegis.
Kishore Biyani Biography
|US $1.8 billion
|Future Group operates multi-branded retail outlets including department stores, supermarkets, convenience stores and garment outlets. It also offers insurance services and products and has its presence in FMCG, automotive and pharmacy sector as well.
Lesser known facts about Kishore Biyani
- Biyani started out in retail space back in 1987 with a trouser brand called Pantaloons at a mere age of 22
- Before independently foraying in entrepreneurship, he worked at his family-owned business called Bansi Silk Mills however, he was against the company’s work culture and business approach
- In 1997, Biyani opened his first department store in Kolkata initially renting out a 10,000 square feet space and just within 22 days, he opened two more
- Apart from department stores, Biyani has had stakes in agriculture, finance and electronics as well
- Among the several awards and honors he has been bestowed with includes CNBC Awaaz Consumer Awards (2009), Entrepreneur of the Year Awards in 2006 by Ernst & Young and the most Admired Retailer of the Year in 2004.