After having served as the CEO of Amazon for over 27 long years, Jeff Bezos stepped down recently and handed over the reins to Andy Jassy on July 5, 2021. The latter has been running Amazon’s cloud computing division ever since its inception in 2003. Though lesser-known, Andy Jassy has had a great hand in the success of the multinational technology company.
Andy Jassy Biography
|Name||Andrew R. Jassy|
|Net Worth||US $500 million|
|Birthday||January 13, 1968|
|Birth Place||New York|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
Andy Jassy’s Career Journey
|MBI||Worked for five years as a project manager after graduation|
|Amazon||· Joined Amazon in 1997. His initial roles included marketing manager
· In 2003, he and Jeff Bezos came up with the idea of the cloud computing platform, Amazon Web Services which was launched in 2006.
· In April 2016, Jassy was promoted from senior vice president to CEO of AWS.
· He succeeded Jeff Bezos as the CEO of Amazon in July 2021.
Lesser known facts about Andy Jassy
- Andy Jassy was named the “Person of the Year” by the Financial Times in March 2016.
- Before launching AWS, he also worked as Jeff Bezos’ technical assistant.
- Under Jassy’s guidance, AWS has beat tech giants like Google and Microsoft in the cloud computing industry.
- Besides serving as the CEO of Amazon, he is the chairman of Rainier Prep, a charter school in Seattle.
- He also owns a minor stake in Seattle Kraken, a professional ice hockey expansion team based in Seattle.