Subrata Roy Sahara: The Incredible Journey of Sahara’s Chief
A businessman and an industrialist, Subrata Roy Sahara is the Managing Worker and Chairman of Sahara India Pariwar. Subrata Roy founded Sahara in the year 1978, and by 2004, he grew the company into one of the most successful conglomerates in the country, Sahara emerged as ‘the second largest employer in India’ after the Indian Railways.
By the late 2000s, Subrata Roy’s company Sahara India Pariwar reached new heights. He was featured among the ‘10 Most Powerful People of India’ by the India Today group. Furthermore, the group expanded its operations in more than 5,000 establishments across the country, employing a workforce of around 1.4 million under the Sahara India Pariwars umbrella.
|Occupation||Managing Worker and Chairman of Sahara India Pariwar|
|Phone Number||+91 5222331408|
|Net Worth||~ $ 200,000|
|Date of Birth||10 June 1948|
|Birthplace||Araria, Bihar, India|
|Awards and Honors||
|Name||Sahara India Pariwar|
|Type of business||Public|
|Area Served||World Wide|
|No. of employees||1.4 million+|
Subrata Roy Early Life
- Subrata Roy Sahara was born on 10 June 1948, in a middle-class family in Araria, Bihar.
- He completed his elementary schooling at Holy Child School in Kolkata.
Subrata Roy Education
- Subrata Roy Sahara completed his graduation in mechanical engineering from the Government Technical Institute, Gorakhpur.
Subrata Roy Career
- Subrata Roy joined Sahara Finance in 1976, and later he took the charge of the company into his own hands.
- In the 1990s, he moved to Lucknow which later became the base of the conglomerate.
- The same year, Subrata Roy launched – Sahara City project covering 217 self-sufficient townships.
- The company’s domain has now been expanded to financial services, real estate, media, entertainment, tourism, health care, and hospitality.
- In 2000, Subrata Roy launched Sahara TV which was later renamed Sahara One.
- Sahara India has 9 crore plus investors and depositors which represents around 13 percent of households in India.
- In 2019, Subrata Roy Sahara launched his own electric vehicle (EVs) brand namely ‘Sahara Evols’ along with other advanced allied services.
Subrata Roy Achievements
- Subrata Roy Sahara is the proud recipient of Karmaveer Samman (1995), Udyamshree (1994), Baba-ERozgar (1992), and Noble Citizen Award (1986).
- Subrata Roy has received the Businessmen of the Year Award and the Best Industrialist Award in 2002.
- In 2004, he received Global Leadership Award.
- Subrata Roy Sahara has been awarded ITA – TV Icon of the year 2007.
- In 2011, he received the ‘Business Icon of the Year award’ at Power brands Hall of Fame Awards in London.
- In 2012, the entrepreneur was listed in the 10 most influential businessmen in India by the news magazine India Today.
Subrata Roy Personal Life
- Subrata Roy Sahara is the son of Smt. Chhabi Roy and Late Shri Sudhir Chandra Roy.
- He is married to Swapna Roy who is the Dy. Managing Worker (Personnel and welfare).
- Subrata Roy Sahara has two sons – Sushanto Roy, and Seemanto Roy.
Read more biographies and success stories of business leaders, celebrities, healthcare professionals, etc. at Leader Biography.