Kevin Systrom brought a social media revolution by introducing the world to ‘Instagram’ – a company he was a co-founder of. Within a span of a few years, his app turned into a social media sensation, and his name appeared in America’s Richest Entrepreneurs “Under 40” in 2016.
Kevin cultivated an affinity towards programming and thrived as a programmer. He was selected in the ‘Mayfield Fellows Program’ which enhanced his domain-related skills. He also worked with big tech giants like Google before shifting to a startup called Nextstop.
Eventually, he decided to develop the ‘new big thing’ in the world of entertainment. Along with his associate Mike, he developed an application called ‘Burbn’, but it turned out to be too complicated for the users to operate. Then they came up with an innovative startup idea – ‘Instagram’ – which emerged as a connotative term and does not require a further introduction.
Kevin Systrom Biography
|Known for||Co-founder, Instagram|
|Alma Mater||Stanford University|
Kevin Systrom Early Life
- Kevin was born on 30th December 1983, in Holliston, Massachusetts to Diane (Pels), and Douglas Systrom.
Kevin Systrom Education
- Kevin received his primary education from ‘Middlesex School’ in Concord, Massachusetts.
- He applied to Stanford University for his undergraduate studies.
- Initially, he took admission into Computer Science before jumping over to Management Science and Engineering Program.
- Kevin was one of the twelve students who were selected to participate in the prestigious Mayfield Fellows Program at Stanford University.
- In 2005, he worked in a four-month internship at Odeo Inc., a platform offering share podcasts.
Kevin Systrom Career
- In 2006, after his graduation, Kevin started working with Google.
- His journey began as an Associate Products Manager and he worked on Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs, and other offerings of Google.
- His passion to work in the field of social media led him to join a startup called Nextstop.com, a company created by former Google employees.
- Kevin was hired as a product manager.
- During his tenure at Nextstop, he realized the potential of entrepreneurship.
- Being a photo fanatic, he created a photo-sharing platform named Instagram in 2010 where users could share pictures and videos.
Kevin Systrom Achievements
- Kevin was awarded the ‘Founder of the Year’ award at the 6th Annual Crunchies Awards in 2012.
- He shared the ‘Webby Breakout Award’ with the co-founder of ‘Instagram’ in the year 2012.
- In 2014, Kevin was listed in the Forbes 30 “under 30” list in the Social/Mobile category.
- In 2015, Kevin received the ‘CFDA Social Media Award.’
- In 2016, Forbes ranked Kevin as a billionaire with a net worth of USD 1.1 billion approximately.
Suggested Read: Miss World Manushi Chillar’s Journey of Success