Jyotsna Suri is the Chairperson and Managing Director of Bharat Hotels Limited that runs a range of luxury 5-star hotels under the flagship of ‘The LaLiT’. Born on 20th July 1952, she attended The Lawrence School, Sanawar, Himachal Pradesh. Later, she completed her Bachelor’s degree in English Honors from Miranda House, University of Delhi. She is the recipient of ‘Doctor of Laws’ (honorary) from the University of Warwick, United Kingdom. A visionary hotelier, Jyotsna Suri is the Chairperson and CMD of Bharat Hotels Ltd that runs the Lalit Suri Group Hotels. She is a self-confessed workaholic, known to have taken ‘The LaLiT’ brand chain to a new level of success and fame.
Jyotsna Suri was conferred with the Order of the Rising Sun for her contribution in bringing India and Japan closer. She was felicitated in the presence of prominent dignitaries including Manmohan Singh, former Prime Minister of India and Piyush Goyal, Minister of Railways on January 17, 2020. With this prestigious order, Jyotsna Suri becomes the first Indian woman to have received the honour. The Order of the Rising Sun was instituted in 1875 by the then Japanese Emperor Meiji. Dr. Jyotsna Suri received the honour in recognition of her “outstanding contribution to strengthening Japan-India economic relations and promoting people-to-people exchanges between the two countries.” As the Co-Chair of FICCI Forum of Parliamentarians Council, she has been actively involved in the activities of the India-Japan Parliamentarians Forum.
Jyotsna Suri started her career at Bharat Hotels Limited in 1987 as its Joint Managing Director. A self-confessed workaholic hotelier, she took over the role of Chairperson and Managing Director in 2006, after the demise of her husband, Lalit Suri, the group founder. Two years later, she led a successful brand change for the hotel chain – The LaLiT, under The Lalit Suri Group Hotels. She was elected as the President of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) in 2014.
Wife of Lalit Suri, the Founder of Bharat Hotels Limited, Dr Jyotsna Suri is the mother of four children – three daughters (Deeksha Suri, Divya Suri, Shradha Suri) and a son (Keshav Suri). Late Lalit Suri was a Member of Parliament in Rajya Sabha (the upper house of India’s parliament) from Uttar Pradesh.
Jyotsna Suri is known as the face of the Indian Hospitality Industry.
- Having over three decades of experience, she has successfully led Bharat Hotels Limited to become one of the leading hotel chains in India.
- The Lalit Hospitality Group operates 12 luxury hotels, palaces and resorts under The LaLiT brand and two mid-market segment hotels across the country, with over 2,260 rooms.
- The Group also operates hotels in London.
- Jyotsna Suri is a fierce advocate of gender equality. Under her leadership, The LaLiT started hiring transgender employees and maintaining a balance between male and females workers.
- In 2019, Dr Suri was ranked at 38th position on the Fortune India Most Powerful Women in business list.
|Other names||Dr. Jyotsna Suri|
|Date of Birth||20 July, 1952|
|Hobbies||Art & Culture, Heritage Promotion, Reading|
|Educational Qualification||Degree in English (Hons), Doctor of Laws (Honorary)|
|College/University||Miranda House, University of Delhi|
|School||The Lawrence School, Sanawar|
|Famous for||Taking ‘The LaLiT’ brand to a new height, from 6 to 14 hotels in no time|
|Daughter||Deeksha Suri, Divya Suri, Shradha Suri|
- Honorary Degree of “Doctor of Laws” from the University of Warwick
- The UK World Travel Market Global Award (2011)
- Asia’s Leading Woman in Hospitality Award at the Women in Leadership (WIL) Asia Awards 2012
- ADTOI Award 2011
- Rotary Club of Delhi 2011 – Lifetime Achievement Award
- Leading Hotelier 2010
- IATO Hall of Fame Award (in 2012) and awarded during 23rd IATO Annual Convention (in 2007)
- Award from SPIC MACAY
- The Most Popular Woman in the Travel industry voted by TravTalk readers
- Human Achievers Foundation Award 2012
- The Spa Personality of the Year by GeoSpa Asia Spa Awards 2011
- Among the 25 Most Powerful Women in Business 2011 & 2012 and 20 Most Powerful Women in India 2009 by Business Today
Leave a Reply