Dr. Surinder Pal Singh Oberoi (SP Singh Oberoi) is a Dubai-based business tycoon and a globally recognized philanthropist. He is popularly known as ‘Savior Singh’ for saving the lives of hundreds of Indians, Pakistanis, and Filipinos from death penalties.
SP Singh Oberoi Life-Changing Moment
S P Singh’s life completely changed after the 2010 incident in Sharjah, UAE, where 17 Indians were given the death penalty for a group fight that led to the death of a Pakistani man. Unable to accept the idea of 17 people being hanged for a single person’s death, he fought their case and won, but had to cough up $2.2 million from his pocket.
After this experience, he decided to donate 98 percent of his income to social welfare and formed the ‘Sarbat Da Bhala Charitable Trust’ in 2011. It assists in rescuing girls from the Gulf region, bringing dead bodies home, and helping specially-abled children, women, and underprivileged people by educating and providing financial support to them. The trust runs 26 welfare projects, all funded by Mr. Oberoi. S P Singh also runs training centers in low-income regions for stitching, electronics, beautician,s, and computer courses.
SP Singh Oberoi Personal Details
|Name||Surinder Pal Singh Oberoi|
|Popular As||Savior Singh|
|Age (As of 2022)||76 years|
|Date of Birth||13-Apr-56|
|Place of Birth||Punjab|
|Profession||Business tycoon and philanthropist|
|Father’s Name||Not mentioned|
|Mother’s Name||Not mentioned|
|Marital Status||Not mentioned|
SP Singh Oberoi Professional Career
- SP Singh began his professional journey as a diesel mechanic in Himachal Pradesh in 1977 and later moved to Dubai for a job.
- He started a supply and construction company, Pritam Singh & Sons, in India, in 1981.
- In 1993, S P Singh returned to Dubai and founded his own company, Apex Emirates General Trading L.L.C.
- In 1996, he started Apex International Construction which dewatered Burj Khalifa.
- SP Singh opened the Dubai Grand Hotel in 1998 and Oberoi Properties and Investments LLC in 2004.
- SP Singh organizes medical camps in Punjab for eye surgeries and general health check-ups, adopts terminally ill patients, and distributes medicines for free.
- He has donated around 400 dialysis units in Punjab and plans to distribute more.
- SP Singh has selflessly paid millions from his own pocket and saved the lives of many Indians on death row.
- His charitable trust paid the fees for all the students of the Gatka course running in the Sports Science Department of Punjab University, Patiala.
- SP Singh also runs a fixed monthly pension initiative for the poor and underprivileged.
- He will set up 5 schools in Punjab, Haryana, and Himachal Pradesh with boarding facilities for specially-abled children.
- SP Singh opened a school with lodging for orphans in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- His trust provides monetary, structural, and developmental support to institutions across Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir, Rajasthan, Haryana, and Himachal Pradesh.
- SP Singh is actively involved in his project of an upcoming school for 1200 disabled children in Abohar, equipped with all the modern amenities and boarding facilities required for easy management.
- He inaugurated India’s first NRI service provider form, NRI Guardian, in Chandigarh on June 14, 2021.
Awards and Recognitions
- SP Singh received a gold medal from the Grand Prix Humanitarian Association, France.
- He has been awarded the Punjab Ratan Award.
- SP Singh is the first Indian to be elevated to the Consulate-General of Principality of Seborga to India.
- He is the first person to receive the Causa Grand Ph.D. degree in Philanthropy from the International University of Fundamental Studies (IUFS).
- He received the Sikh of the Year award in 2014 at the House of Lords, London.
- He received the Grand Prix Humanitaire de France in 2015.
”Do all good, by all means, to all the people, as long as you can”
Inspired by Dr. Prabhleen Singh’s book, ‘Prominent Sikhs of India in 2018’, Mahesh Bhatt, the famous Indian director, will feature a 16-episode docudrama series, ‘Pehchaan – The Unscripted Show’. It will be available on OTT platforms and give a glimpse into the lives of some of the world’s renowned Sikhs including, Sony’s CEO, N.P Singh, Raju Chadha, Savior Singh Oberoi, economist Montek Singh, and many others.
On being asked about the series, Mahesh Bhatt said, “I saw Sikhs step out during the pandemic and help people when every institution had failed to help mankind through the dark times. That gave birth to the idea of talking to this brave community that has been serving humankind for more than 500 years. With this, people around the world will not only get a taste of faith but also a glimpse of their great history. I call them the warriors of the 21st century.”
Must Read: Y. S. Chowdary – Rajya Sabha member, Bharatiya Janata Party,
S.P Singh Sir is doing excellent work in setting up a school in Abohar for disabled children…Really happy about the initiative he has taken
Dr. SP Singh Oberoi is the Chairman of the Apex Group of Companies with offices in Burj Khalif and in Dubai. He is also Managing Trustee of Sarbat Da Bhala Charitable Trust in Patiala.
SP Singh is truly an inspiration for masses. I’m grateful to him for monthly pension initiative for the poor and underprivileged
this man’s biography is an admiration in itself
i am really inspired by Dr. SP Singh Oberoi