A youthful dreamer and a climate change activist named Hina Saifi has lit the route to long-term reform in the heart of Uttar Pradesh. She was born and reared in Sisola, a humble village in Meerut district. Her journey from a low-income family to a trailblazing advocate for climate education and action exemplifies the spirit of leadership that crosses borders. Hina Saifi’s United Nations association in the campaign known as #WeTheChangeNOW led her to be part and face of the campaign among the list of 17 climate change leaders.
Early Life and Education
- Hina Saifi, Meerut’s resident, hails from Sisola, where education for girls is a formidable challenge.
- Hina, the young climate leader, is currently pursuing MBA from the Bharti Institute of Technology, Meerut. She has reached this stage in life with her true dedication and willingness to break the stereotypical barriers of her village and change the existing mindsets.
- Considering the situation of Sisola, an underdeveloped village in Uttar Pradesh, Hina couldn’t even imagine pursuing her studies post-8th grade, over a decade ago.
- Managing to achieve complete school education, along with higher studies, Hina has showcased her limitless power and outshined on a national level for Women Climate Crusaders among 16 other women.
- Hina Saifi, Women Climate Collective’s crucial member, has made a remarkable turn in her life. Her trajectory seemed predestined by the harsh realities of her village, where education was a luxury and the pursuit of higher learning was rare.
- However, against all odds, Hina’s mother recognized the value of education and facilitated her journey to knowledge.
- At such a young age, her thoughts align with personal as well as environmental growth and sustainability, which sets her apart from today’s youth.
“Poverty is rampant in my underdeveloped village, and child labor is common here. I, too, was advised to stop studying after I finished the eighth standard. However, I stuck to my decision to study further. To support myself through school and to help my family, I also worked part-time in a football factory”.
—– Hina Saifi
Hina Saifi: Championing Climate Education
- 22-year-old Hina Saifi’s journey into climate advocacy began with a realization that education was the cornerstone of addressing the multifaceted challenges troubling her village.
- Armed with this insight, she set out on a quest to motivate children to attend school, thereby causing a small wave of awareness.
- Partnering with local NGOs and the ‘Women Climate Collective’ (WCC), she found her voice in discussions about climate change, clean energy, and sustainability.
- She was the first one from her village to move to Lucknow and be part of the Climate Agenda Initiative 2018.
- Proud to be a member of Women Climate Collective, she supports the notion that addressing the climate crisis and fighting climate change is a collective responsibility of the people and not just that of the government alone.
- Hina has also achieved an international recognition by her association with #WetheChangeNOW campaign by United Nations(UN) in India. The campaign showcases the climate based solutions devised by 17 young Indians that are innovative, sustainable and equitable, further focusing on strengthening engagements with governments and society.
The Hina Saifi Chronicles of Grassroots Change
- Hina’s endeavors extended beyond education, culminating in the ‘Suraj Se Samriddhi’ campaign, launched by herself that spotlights solar power’s potential and advocates for cleaner energy solutions.
- Her grassroots approach, encompassing workshops, speeches, and dialogues, has led to tangible change: cleaner streets, waste-free water bodies, and enhanced greenery. She acknowledges the intrinsic link between education and climate, recognizing their mutual capacity for transformation.
- Hina’s belief in micro-behaviors as agents of monumental transformation underscores her leadership philosophy. By engaging with the village Pradhan and initiating innovative projects, she showcases the potential of individual actions to revolutionize communities.
- Her involvement in the ‘100% Uttar Pradesh’ initiative reflects her dedication to the larger cause, emphasizing that collective progress stems from local commitment.
Hina Saifi: Empowering Change Through Climate Advocacy
Hina Saifi’s journey, stemming from her village’s challenges, inspires hope for a greener future. As a catalyst for change, her efforts stimulate broader dialogues concerning the representation of women’s voices in climate advocacy. Through platforms like the Women Climate Collective, her voice resonates beyond geographical boundaries, exemplifying the power of unity in tackling global challenges. From her humble origins in Sisola to her pivotal role within the Collective, Hina embodies the leadership needed for a brighter tomorrow. Her story showcases how determination and knowledge can bring about significant change.