At a time when almost every sector and every industrialist was still dealing with the blow of the pandemic, here’s one businessman who has been standing tall amidst all odds. Beating even Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk, Gautam Adani, founder of Adani Group that owns the Carmichael coal mine in Australia, has emerged as this year’s biggest wealth gainer.
Though the second richest person in India today, over five decades ago, the ‘would-be business magnate’ was struggling in Mumbai to make ends meet. From doing petty jobs to working as a diamond broker and later as a polymer importer, Gautam Adani went through it all before becoming the tycoon that he is today.
Gautam Adani Biography
|Net Worth||5,380 Crores USD|
|Birthday||June 24, 1962|
|Children||Karan Adani Jeet Adani|
Gautam Adani Career Journey
|1978||Worked as a diamond sorter for Mahendra Brothers before starting his own diamond brokerage firm|
|1981||Ventured into PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) imports business with his brother|
|1988||Established Adani Exports Limited (now called Adani Enterprises Ltd.) that dealt with agricultural and power commodities|
|1991||Expanded the businesses into trading of metals, textiles, and agro products|
|1994||Received contract for Mundra Port in Gujarat|
|1995||Set up the first jetty which is currently operated by APSEZ (Adani Ports & SEZ Limited)|
|1996||Founded Adani Power Limited|
|2006||Entered the power generation business|
Adani Group and its subsidiaries
- Adani Enterprises Limited – Primary holding company of Adani Group which is listed at BSE and NSE India.
- Adani Green Energy Limited – Renewable energy arm of the group, that has a portfolio of several solar and wind power plant projects.
Adani’s Project locations:
- Fatehgarh, UP
- Lahori, MP
- Tamil Nadu
- Andhra Pradesh
- Adani Ports & SEZ Limited – Largest private port company in India, APSEZ’s operations include port management and logistics.
Adani Portfolio of ports and terminals
- Mormugao Terminal, Adani Group Goa
- Hazira Port in Gujarat
- Vizhinjam Port, Kerala
- Kattupalli Port, Tamil Nadu
- Ennore Terminal, Tamil Nadu
- Vizag Terminal, Andhra Pradesh
- Dhamra Port, Odisha
- Krishnapatnam Port, Andhra Pradesh
- Adani Power Limited – Established in 1996, the company develops and maintains power projects in India.
Adani Subsidiaries of APL
- Adani Power Maharashtra Limited
- Adani Power Rajasthan Limited
- Adani Power Dahej Limited
- Mundra Power SEZ Limited
- Adani Power (Overseas) Limited
- Adani Total Gas Limited – A gas distribution company that supplies and caters to both industrial and residential customers in Gujarat.
- Adani Transmission Limited – The company commissions, operates and maintains electric power transmission systems.
Apart from its projects in India, the Gautam Adani-led group also operates the Carmichael coal mine project in Australia. Being constructed in Central Queensland’s Galilee Basin, the project has so far received over $1.5 billion in contracts and generated more than 2000 employment opportunities.