A retail veteran, Arvind Mediratta has infused a new lease of life in the retail and wholesale sector, where several players are losing money hand over fist. In the last couple of years, he has spearheaded a complete turnaround of METRO Cash & Carry’s operations in India. From a company that was continuously in the red for the last 14 years, METRO Cash & Carry India turned profitable in 2018 and has transformed from a brick-and-mortar company into a B2B Omni-channel player. A strong proponent for regulated retail in India, Mediratta believes that the future lies in the inclusion and empowerment of the small, local kiranas in the larger scheme of things.
Arvind Mediratta Personal Details
|Designations||MD & CEO, METRO Cash & Carry India and Chairperson, Retail & Internal Trade Committee, FICCI|
|Date of Birth||4-Jun-67|
|Place of Birth||New Delhi, India|
|Spouse’s Name||Rashmi Mediratta|
|Spoken Languages||English, Hindi, and Punjabi|
|Hobbies||Watching Cricket, Traveling, Collecting Artifacts|
Arvind Mediratta Educational Qualifications
- Arvind Mediratta graduated with a B. Tech in Chemical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, in 1989.
- Graduated from IIM Calcutta with an MBA in Marketing and Finance in 1991 and was honored with the Roll of Honours
Arvind Mediratta Career
- Arvind Mediratta began his professional journey with Proctor & Gamble (P&G) in 1991
- At P&G, he managed marketing and branding strategy in India, Singapore, and Bangkok
- After a decade long stint at P&G, he joined Marico in 2001 as the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)
- He later joined Whirlpool India in 2003, replicating his role as the CMO
- Yum! Brands came calling in 2005 and Arvind Mediratta found himself handling the South Asian market
- As the CMO for South Asia, he looked after Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell, and A&W in India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Mauritius.
- In 2007, he joined Walmart (India) and helped set up its Cash and Carry business in India eventually becoming its Chief Operating Officer
- Before long, Mediratta found himself supervising Walmart (USA) operations in the United States
- He became the Global Officer and Vice-President for Operations (Texas) in 2013
- Mediratta was later elevated to the position of Global Officer and VP Merchandising for Fresh
- In 2016, he joined METRO Cash and Carry India as its MD & CEO – a role he reprises to date
- He is also the Chairperson of the Retail & Internal Trade Committee, FICCI, since 2020
Arvind Mediratta Lesser Known Facts
- Arvind Mediratta is an avid traveler with a penchant for exploring uncharted places. An activity he enjoys since his early years, he has visited some of the most remote places in India including Chamoli, Vishnuprayag, Bhadravati, Salem, and Tirunelveli.
- An official food aficionado, he makes it a point to try out exotic delicacies whenever he travels.
- Although not apparent, Arvind Mediratta loves shopping. Woodbury Common Premium Outlets in New York and Orlando in Florida are two of his favorite shopping destinations.
- Arvind Mediratta is a self-proclaimed movie buff. The pandemic downtime afforded him the time to catch up on the latest shows on OTT.
Arvind Mediratta Notable Achievements and Contributions
- He played an instrumental role in the successful relaunch of KFC in India
- He helped set up Walmart’s Cash and Carry business in India as its Chief Operating Officer and in less than five years, launched close to 20 outlets for Walmart in India
- Within three years of joining METRO, Mediratta led a turnaround and transformed METRO into a profitable billion-dollar company
Arvind Mediratta Recognition
- Arvind Mediratta was rated as one of the ‘Top 8 Marketers in India’ in 2003 by The Economic Times
- Was ranked by PITCH in their ‘50 Most Powerful People in Media, Advertising and Marketing in India, 2004
- Recognized by Business Today as ‘25 Hottest Young Executives in India’, 2006
- The Economic Times presented him with ‘Asia’s Most Promising Business Leaders’ Award, 2020
- Awarded The Economic Times’ Inspiring CEOs of 2021.
- Food and Grocery Retail Icons of India, 2022- Images Group
- Business Icons of India 2022 – Marksmen
You must always play to win. Always, have a winning mindset!
Leave a Reply